Monday, March 5, 2012

English Muffin Bread

Well, the third time is a charm with this recipe. I found this recipe on Pinterest and was dying to try it. I was bound and determine to make this recipe work and not give up. It took THREE times to get it right. Here are some things I learned along the way, hopefully it will prevent you from making the same mistakes.

1. Make sure you use hot water (around 100 degrees) not BOILING water and kill the yeast like I did the first time.

2. Use RAPID RISE Yeast, do not use regular yeast. I was up until 11pm last night waiting for it to rise, no luck. I gave up and put them in the oven, only to discover that the bread wasn't really bread, more like a breadstick width.

3. Know that even with Rapid Rise yeast, it can still take a few hours to fully rise. Something they left out of the recipe directions.

Third time is a charm and this ended up being worth all of the hassle, time, and lack of sleep today at work. The best part is, it makes 4 loaves and was really easy to make. I ended up giving one to the neighbors, one to my sister, who so generously offered up her two loaf pans for me when I realized the recipe made four loaves, and one for us. Plus, one for the freezer for later use.

Recipe found here
5 1/2 cups warm water
3 packages RAPID RISE yeast
     (Update: You can use regular yeast, but you will need to let is rise TWICE. Once in the bowl, til it reaches the top...and then again in the pans, til it reaches the top. With the RAPID RISE you only need to let it rise once in the pans.)
2 Tablespoons salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
11 cups flour (I used bread flour....but my Mom always used All Purpose)

Mix altogether, let rise in bowl until double in bulk, then spoon into (4) well greased loaf pans.  Let rise in pans until dough reaches the top of the pan, and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown. (My oven runs a little hot so I ended up cooking mine for a total of 35 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. You're looking for golden brown.) 10 minutes before done, brush with melted butter. Makes 4 loaves. Bread will be moist at first. Allow to COOL COMPLETELY before cutting. Makes terrific toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment