Monday, April 18, 2011

Nilla Wafer Banana Pudding

This baby needs to get here already, I am finding myself nesting in the form of cooking and baking. The house isn't as clean or as organized as I would like it, but truthfully, I don't have the energy to clean it. As soon as I start cleaning, my back starts to hurt and I need a nap, I am truly a toddler! I have been nesting at school getting everything ready for my substitute and worrying about things like food at home. I have started to make meals and freeze them so in the midst of baby craziness and trying to catch up on sleep once she has come, we can still have a home cooked meal without the work of having to make it. However, today I ran into a problem. As I was handing out snack for my Kindergartners, I saw a recipe on the box of Nilla Wafers and couldn't stop thinking about it and had to have it TONIGHT! I am glad that I made it, it was delicious! It was actually super easy too!

What You Need

3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup  flour
Dash salt
3   eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp.  vanilla
45 NILLA Wafers, divided
5   bananas, sliced

Make It

HEAT oven to 350°F.
MIX 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
RESERVE 12 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard onto bottom of 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover with layers of 1/3 each of the remaining wafers, bananas and remaining custard. Repeat layers 2 times.
BEAT egg whites on high speed of mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard, sealing well to edge of dish.
BAKE 15 to 20 min. or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Top with reserved wafers just before serving.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

How to Prepare Without a Double Boiler
A double boiler helps to keep custards, such as the pudding filling for this recipe, smooth. If you don't have a double boiler, you can make your own by placing a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on top of the stove. Be sure to use a bowl that fits snugly over the pan. Most importantly, do not allow the simmering water to touch the bottom of the bowl. Use pot holders when removing the bowl of cooked custard from the saucepan as it will be very hot.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmmm, we've made this before and it is soooo good! I could eat it all in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete