Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pasta with Sausage and Cherry Tomatoes

This pasta was delicious! I am normally not a pasta kind of gal, or at least spaghetti kind of girl, but this was superb. The recipe from "Cook Yourself Thin Faster," calls for pork sausage, but I chose to go an even healthier route and use Trader Joe's Sundried tomato and basil chicken sausage. I must say it added extra flavor. I think the thing I love most about my new cookbook is that the portions are perfect for Pat and I and we rarely have leftovers, which is nice for a change. I don't know about you, but I am not a huge fan of leftovers. I will eat it the next day for lunch, but that is enough for me. This cookbook makes the right portions and the recipes are better for you. Enjoy because we sure did!
Ingredients:
Olive oil cooking spray
1/2 lb. pork sausage, removed from their casings and crumbled (I used Trader Joe's sundried tomato and basil chicken sausage)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Pinch of hot pepper flakes
16 cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
7 oz. whole wheat linguine, cooked al dente 
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and stir occasionally for about 3 minutes, until the meat begins to brown. Add the garlic, pepper flakes, tomatoes, and thyme. Cook until the sausage turns dark brown and the tomato skins have burst, about another 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Place the cooked pasta in a warm serving bowl and toss with extra virgin olive oil. Top the pasta with the sausage and tomato mixture, stir to combine and sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment