Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Orange Beef

Another new favorite from "Cook Yourself Thin!" My house smells amazing after making this simple recipe. I have decided that I love this cookbook not only for the portions, the healthiness of the recipes, but also for the recipes that don't include any over the top ingredients. I hate when you want to try a new recipe but have to spend $20 just buying all of the spices and ingredients that you have never used or probably will never use again unless you make that recipe again. This cookbook has common ingredients, the only thing I had to buy that I had never used was the Chinese five-spice, which I must say now that I have tried it, I will use it in more recipes. This recipe made me think I was eating Chinese take out and it didn't take me long to prepare it.  However, I think we took any chance of this meal being healthy away by serving it with rice. :) I am sorry my picture doesn't do this dish justice, I use my cellphone and the quality isn't the best.




Ingredients:
1 lb. flank steak,, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices across the grain
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
3 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 orange
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon canola oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced


1. Combine the steak, five spice powder, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce in a medium bowl. Marinate at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.


2. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the zest of the orange into a small bowl. Peel the orange, then break it into segments and coarsely chop. In a small bowl, stir together the orange juice, cornstarch, and the remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce.


3. Heat the oil in a nonstick 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the steak and cook, undisturbed, for 1 minute. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the meat just loses its pinkness. Add the scallions and reserved orange zest and cook, stirring, until fragrant , about 1 minute. Stir in sauce mixture and cook , stirring occasionally, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Garnish with the reserved orange segments and serve.


Serves 4
Nutritional Value Per Serving:
229 Calories
10g Fat
218 mg Sodium
4 g Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment