Friday, July 2, 2010

Black Bean Salad

It is summer, what can I say....I have been a huge slacker, sorry! I know you will all continue to eat without me or my recipes and be just fine, but I feel a little guilty. I hope to get better, but summer has gotten the best of me. Most teachers use their summers to relax, not this girl! I feel like I am even more busy now than during the school year, oh well, let's just hope it doesn't make summer go too fast. I figured this is the perfect recipe to post for the 4th of July weekend, it is the perfect BBQ side salad to bring along to your party. It is healthy for you and has a delicious taste, enjoy! Happy Independence Day!

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 pint of grape tomatoes (I halve mine, but you can keep them whole too)
  • 1 can green chiles or jalapenos (I used Chiles)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Directions

  1. Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
  2. In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment