Monday, January 4, 2010

Carmelized Banana Loaf Cake

I feel like I am getting ahead of myself here, I am in the honeymoon stage of this blog so I find myself daydreaming about what I can cook or bake next and add to the blog. While my stomach thanks me for my persistence and excitement, I fear that in time my wallet will not! So forgive me if I start off strong with multiple recipes a week and eventually tapper off to my actual two new recipes a week resolution. I could blog every night because I do cook every night, but once I find a recipe I like, I find myself making it frequently, which probably won't interest my readers as much. We will see how it goes, but I must stick ot my two new recipes a week, so you can count on that! I do need to know that I am doing this for others too, so if you think of it, click the Follow button on the right-hand side of this screen. That way you'll get updates when I update my blog!

I don't know about you, but maybe one of my biggest weaknesses, besides candy and diet coke, is banana bread. My favorite thing to do is find a great banana bread recipe and add to it to make it my own. I usually can be found adding chocolate chips or chopped walnuts, but when I came across this recipe in Rachel Ray's Magazine (amazing by the way), I couldn't wait to try it! This is by far THE BEST BANANA BREAD I have made!



By: Silvana Nardon
From: Rachel Ray Magazine December
  • 6 Servings
  • Prep 35 min
  • Bake 55 min

Ingredients:

  • 3 to 4 large bananas
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, in 1 piece
  • 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Don't leave the sauce behind! Be sure to serve all the gooey caramel from the baking pan.

Directions:

  1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°. Grease a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan. Trim both ends off each of 3 bananas to fit crosswise in the pan; reserve the ends. Halve the long banana pieces lengthwise; peel and transfer to a plate.

  2. In a large, heavy skillet, bring 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water to a boil, without stirring. Cook until the water has evaporated and the mixture starts turning amber. Remove from the heat and swirl in the butter with a fork. Add the long banana pieces cut side down and cook over low heat for 1 minute; transfer to the prepared loaf pan, arranging them crosswise, cut side down. Drizzle the remaining caramel on top.

  3. In a medium bowl, mash the banana end pieces to equal 1 cup (add more banana if necessary). Mash in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Beat in the whole egg, egg white and vanilla.

  4. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the banana mixture and oil; whisk until blended. Scrape the batter over the bananas in the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes; invert the cake onto a platter and let cool completely.

Photo How-To:

No comments:

Post a Comment