Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Grilled and Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Gorgonzola and Grilled Asparagas

My friend Nikki suggested I try this recipe, her family made it for Christmas. I am sure glad she did, because it is delicious! I was looking forward to making it all day long and came home expecting there to be a lot to this recipe, but in all actuality, it was super easy and quick. Much less work than expected and the taste was to die for! I have to admit, I am a bit frugal when it comes to grocery shopping and usually hit up at least two different stores each week in order to get the best deal, ask me what something costs at Alidi, Trader Joes, and Super Target and sadly I would know! What I am trying to get at is that the recipe called for 6 Portobello mushrooms, but at $3.50 for two, I only dropped for four, especially since it is just Pat and I eating them. That will give us enough for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow, perfect! However, I would definitely splurge for 6 in the future and make this for guests, especially because it seems like a lot more work than it is.  

You can never go wrong with asparagus with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and my favorite, a touch of lemon juice. Although I called them grilled asparagus, we weren't able to get the grill cover off our grill (it was frozen to the grill) so I put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. When they were done, I put some freshly grated romano (Parmesan would work too) on top and let it melt before serving. YUM! I also grilled the mushrooms on the stovetop and then broiled them in the oven on high ( a little to long if you notice the browning on my cheese, oops) until the stuffing was warmed through and the cheese had melted. I haven't had them on the grill, but they were tasty on the stovetop!

Grilled and Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Gorgonzola                       Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis 

Serves: 6 servings
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
  • 12 ounces turkey sausage, casings removed
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
  • 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
  • 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) Gorgonzola, crumbled
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
  • 6 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed

Directions

1. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.

2.Stir in the mascarpone cheese. Add the thyme, oregano, bread crumbs, 1/2 of the Gorgonzola, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir until all ingredients are combined.

3. Brush the mushrooms on both sides with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the mushrooms, stem side down, for 3 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and grill for 2 minutes until tender. Fill each mushroom with the sausage mixture and top with the remaining Gorgonzola.

4. Return the mushrooms to the grill and cook until the stuffing is warmed through and the cheese starts to melt, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Cook's Note: The assembled mushrooms can also be placed on a baking sheet and cooked under a preheated broiler until warmed through.

No comments:

Post a Comment