Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shortbread Cookies dipped in Chocolate--Oops there goes the Weight Watchers meal!

These cookies are to die for, seriously. I have a major sweet tooth, just ask my dentist! Even after getting two cavities filled over break, I still can't stop making and eating these cookies. We are going up to a friend's cabin this weekend so I have been baking and preparing food to share with everyone. I made these and the lemon cookies for our annual UST Christmas party and they were a big hit, our lovely friend Joe especially took a liking to them. His birthday was just last week, so I figured I'd make a few batches of cookies to bring up to the cabin for him for his birthday treat! Happy Birthday Joe! In the picture you can see both the Shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate on the right and the lemon cookies on the left. I got this recipe from Thyme for Wine and would highly recommend it!

It is important that you use the mini chocolate chips, I tried putting regular chocolate chips in the food processor to break them down and they are still just as delicious, but the dough ended up much more crumbly and I had to add a little water to get the cookies to stick together. Also note, you will only use half of the bag of mini chocolate chips. I used too many chopped up regular chips, learn from my mistake and follow the directions, even if you have to run to the store, the end result is worth it!



Mini Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
From Thyme for Wine

Yield: 3 Dozen

1 C. Butter (2 Sticks)
1 C. Sifted Powdered Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
Pinch of Salt
2 C. Flour
6 oz. Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips

Beat butter and sugar together until light.  Beat in vanilla and salt.  Add flour and beat until mixture is blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.  I put the dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.  Shape dough into 3/4'' balls and flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass.  Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake for about 15 minutes (cookies should be pale in color).  Remove cookies and let cool.

Chocolate Dip
3/4 C. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
4 Tbsp. Butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. Cream
Pinch of Salt

Carefully melt in the microwave.  I stop it every 15 seconds and give it a good stir.  Dip 1/2 the cooled cookie in the chocolate dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment