Sunday, January 3, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

I was searching in one of my many cookbooks that I haven't used in awhile, actually I haven't made anything from this cookbook yet, and I found this recipe for Mexican Lasagna. I was very skeptical as I was making this, not sure if it would turn out or how it would taste, but I was pleasantly surprised! I think next time I make it, I'd add some meat to it, but as my husband said, "It had so many flavors that you couldn't tell it was vegetarian." I found it to be a great recipe to mix things up from time to time, I don't think I'd make it on a regular basis, but it has so many flavors and so many veggies!

Mexican Lasagna
Serves 4
From "Mom's Best One-Dish Suppers"
2 Tbls. extra-virgin olive oil

1 onion, halved and sliced

1 green pepper, julienned

1 red bell pepper, julienned
2 fresh or canned green chiles, seeded, and diced
2 cups fresh or canned seeded and diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Salt and Pepper

oil for frying (optional)
1 pkg. (9oz) corn tortillas

2 cups refried beans (15oz)

2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese (I used Monterey)
1 cup sliced California black olives 1/2 cup sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 425.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, bell peppers, and chiles until the onion is limp, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Holding the tortilla pieces with tongs, dip them one by one in the oil just long enough to soften, 10-15 seconds. Drain on paper towels. (This step is optional, but it improves the flavor and texture of the fished dish) I did this step, but to be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference, so I'd say skip it, it grossed me out a little having to do this.

4. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange an overlapping layer of tortilla wedges on top (use 1/3 of the tortillas) Spoon 1 cup of tomato mixture on top. Spread about half of the refried beans in an even layer on top of the tomato layer. Sprinkle with one quarter of the cheese and half of the olives. Cover with another layer of tortillas and tomato mixture. Top with the remaining refried beans, then one-quarter of the cheese and remaining olives. Arrange a final layer of tortillas on top. Spoon the remaining tomato mixture over this layer. Top with sour cream and the remaining cheese.

5. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the filling is heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment