Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Marinara- Weight Watchers Recipe!

I got this recipe idea from my boss, as well as another coworker and it is delicious! It is also actually fairly good for you, only 2 points for those of you Weight Watcher fans. It is a healthy take on your classic spaghetti and marinara, only instead of noodles you use spaghetti squash. It has a wonderful flavor and you can hardly taste the squash other than a subtle sweet taste. The nice thing about this recipe is you won't need to eat a ton to feel full, I didn't even come close to cleaning my plate, but I am full, it is refreshing to feel "good full" for a change, especially after the holidays!  My picture wasn't working, so I found this one on the web instead, this picture is probably fancier than mine anyway. Thanks Mike and Kari for putting this recipe idea in my head, I am glad I tried it because it is delicious and to be honest, I think when you two described it to me I thought it sounded disgusting, but I was pleasantly surprised! YUM!

 Spaghetti Squash Marinara
Weightwatchers.com

1 medium raw spaghetti squash ( about 2 1/2 lbs)
1 t. olive oil
1 small onion
1 t. Italian Seasoning
1 tsp minced garlic
14 1/2 oz. can stewed tomatoes, cut up
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350ºF.

  • Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.

  • Meanwhile, to make the sauce, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, 5 minutes or until desired consistency.

  • To serve, carefully rake the stringy squash pulp from the skin with a fork, separating it into strands that look like spaghetti. Spoon sauce over squash and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of squash, 1/4 cup of sauce and 1 tablespoon of cheese per serving. 

1 comment:

  1. YAY! You tried it! I am glad you liked it! I just wanted to say that you can also put the squash in the microwave for like 10-12 minutes and CAREFULLY remove it and cut it in half. It takes much less time and still tastes delicious!!

    ReplyDelete